Most people know that if you want beautiful white teeth, not only should you visit a dentist in Vancouver, WA, such as Jill Markos, DDS, for professional teeth whitening, but you should also avoid common substances that stain teeth. These substances include tobacco, coffee, tea, soda, soy sauce, tomato sauce and most berries.
What many people do not realize, however, is that in addition to avoiding foods that cause stains, you can actually eat several foods that help prevent and eliminate stains as well. While consuming these stain-fighting foods won't replace regular brushing and flossing or trips to Dr. Markos, your Vancouver, WA dentist, the following foods really can help keep your teeth sparkling white.
1. Apples: Apples help fight stains in two ways. First, eating them causes your mouth to produce a lot of saliva, which helps wash stain-causing food particles and bacteria away before they can do more damage. Secondly, apples are a rough and abrasive food, which means that simply eating them can help scrub some of the surface stains off of your teeth.
2. Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are high in calcium, which helps keep your teeth strong and solid. The less your teeth pit and decay, the fewer places there are for stain-casing bacteria to hide. Plus, like apples, sesame seeds are also rough in nature, which helps scrub away stains.
3. Celery: Celery isn't just good for losing weight, it can also keep your teeth clean. Celery requires lots of chewing, which leaves plenty of time for the rough fibers to scrub away stains and for your saliva to wash away bacteria.
4. Cheese: You always knew dairy products were good for your teeth, but did you know that they can help prevent staining as well? Cheese and other dairy products helps balance your mouth's pH, which discourages stain-causing bacteria from growing. They also help rebuild tooth enamel and protect against decay.
5. Strawberries: While many berries can stain teeth, strawberries are one exception. Strawberries contain malic acid, an enzyme that helps whiten teeth naturally.
Do you wish you had whiter, brighter teeth? The solution may be easier than you think! Enjoy these five foods for their stain-fighting properties and don't forget to keep regular appointments with your Vancouver, WA dentist. Your teeth will thank you for it.